(Want to read the tips right away? Scroll right to the end!)
Ask locals “where’s the best place to party in Bangkok?” and you’d probably get the same answer – RCA. It is short for Royal City Avenue, an entertainment hub which houses bars and nightclubs. Friends and I went to three places, starting with Flix, then Slim and lastly Route 66.
We came to Flix very early, and were the only ones there! I love the ambiance of the place, the music, the staff, everything. Certainly a good place to start the night.
It was so empty that instead of shuffling to the house and trance music, I skated like a figure skater in the Olympic Games! I even did a split and one of my friends had to lift me up as I was rooted to the floor for a while hahahaha! That was utter madness! The crowd thickens and we decided to check out the other clubs.
To slow things a bit, we decided to go to Slim. This cool place plays the latest hip hop and R&B songs. It was too crowded, and there was barely space to breathe, let alone wiggle. We learnt that you have to purchase a bottle to be able to secure some space on the dance floor.
After three bottles in Flix, we were pretty sure we want to remember the night, so we decided to take things slow and head out to the exterior.
To end the night, we hopped on to Route 66. The hip hop songs made us feel more alive than we could ever be! No wonder Route 66 is one of the locals’ favourite place to party! This huge club houses different wings and despite the luxury of space, the club is equally crowded like the other clubs! You might want to arrive early to secure your spot.
Overall experience: Wonderful! What I dislike about the place is that it can be overcrowded, and before we could enter the club, the guys scrutinised our passports like we’re criminals. Take a chill pill, guys. Also, we have to pay the entry fee which is 400 baht (SGD16/USD13) for foreigners but the locals enter for free; no wonder the clubs are jam-packed!
Tips for Partying in Bangkok
- If you’re club-hopping, stick to a bottle per club to get a spot.
- Had enough drinks and refuse to buy a bottle but want to party like crazy? Make sure you don’t piss anyone off while squeezing your way through the crowd in search of a spot. Some party-goers are territorial.
- Guys, not every pretty lady out there is a female. If you’re the sort who believe in falling in love (or lust) at first sight, and prefer ladies only, do be certain of her gender, look out for Adam’s apple, fake boobs, and the easiest – manly voice.
- Ladies, I don’t think you should be weary of the men. It’s the ladies who made me feel uncomfortable. They can get touchy and physical; I get kisses here and there. What surprised me, is that they move back and forth between my guy friends and me and my girlfriend, I guess we can categorise them as people person. Don’t get me wrong, they’re nice, it was just a case of culture shock.
- After party: getting cabs can be quite a hassle. Be patient.